Super Savory Beet Soup
Another soup recipe to share! I’m big on soups, and it’s made being vegetarian for the next bit VERY easy for me. They’re nutritious and really tasty (and filling). I picked up some beets a few weeks ago when grocery shopping and Figured I’d make some Beet Soup. So, here you go!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (I use organic)
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 tsp black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 1/2 beets (peeled and halved)
- 1 potato (peeled and halved crosswise)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tsps reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and next 6 ingredients (through bay leaf). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until beets and potato are tender. Discard bay leaf.
- Place broth mixture in blender or food processor; process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan. Warm soup over low heat for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice. Top with soup cream. (I actually added a bit of soup cream to the blender and blended it in. You can do this if you wish)
Enjoy! And it’s roughly 50 calories per bowl (before the sour cream).